Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pray for Who???

temp
Yesterday’s blog on “pray for you” verses in the Bible did not touch on one thing I think is important. And, I can’t find one Bible verse that actually tells me to do this, expect for:

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; (Matthew 5:43-44 KJV)

Even David’s Psalms call upon the Lord to punish his enemies. Jesus had a different message:  Pray for them which despitefully use you.

See? As soon as you read that, you thought of someone who despitefully used you, didn’t you? I can come up with a name or two.

So, are you praying for them?

Are you praying in the David style:

By this I know that thou favourest me, because mine enemy doth not triumph over me. (Psalms 41:11 KJV)

Or, do you feel that if there is a God, He has abandoned you to enemies:

Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me. (Psalms 55:3 KJV)

This man after God’s own heart knew enmity – by the very man God gave his description. A man to whom David showed mercy, sparing his life and regretting his death.

But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee. (1 Samuel 13:14 KJV)

Think again of that one who despitefully uses you. OK, so there’s more than one. Make a list – just their names, no need to write down reasons. Now, make a commitment to pray for them.  No – not pray against them, pray for them. Pray they see God’s will in their lives.

If you can’t find something nice to pray, don’t be like Thumper this time. Just say their name in prayer and know the Holy Spirit will take your prayers before God’s throne:

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. (Romans 8:26-27 KJV)

I trust God’s will in my life, and I trust His workings with others, too.  I know many will continue to deny Him. That is completely beyond my control. Though I feel sad about their loss, I feel hope that time remains whereby they may come to understand how much God does love us.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9 KJV)

Do not grab on to those two words “not willing” and try to make them mean that all are saved. Read more. Find that the choice is ours and repentance is the key to understanding. Know that I pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)