Thursday, July 11, 2013

Barak

temp
There were some very active women in the Bible. One I read about recently was Deborah:

And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time. And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment. (Judges 4:4-5 KJV)

I thought of an oasis, a well, palm trees and a path leading right up to Deborah’s tent. Being a wife, she had a lot of responsibilities besides being the judge for the children of Israel. God sent her instructions, and she passed them on:

And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Hath not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with thee ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun? And I will draw unto thee to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army, with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into thine hand. (Judges 4:6-7 KJV)

Deborah just put Barak in charge of ten thousand troops and promised him a victory, in the name of the Lord. Sound daunting? It did to Barak:

And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go. (Judges 4:8 KJV)

Does that sound like anyone you know? I think it sounds very similar to me. Be the first to respond? Believe that I can really get the job done? And mine don’t involve ten thousand men strong and brave nor did I have to face another man’s army. Deborah had a ready answer, too:

And she said, I will surely go with thee: notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honour; for the LORD shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. And Deborah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh. (Judges 4:9 KJV)

With Deborah along, the battle was won – but Sisera was not to fall into Barak’s hand. Instead, we have two examples in Judges 4 of women called by God to accomplish His will. Deborah, who not only obeyed Him by judging His people but carried His words, even when they might not be welcomed; and Jael, who slew Sisera and is remembered even today for doing so.

And, behold, as Barak pursued Sisera, Jael came out to meet him, and said unto him, Come, and I will shew thee the man whom thou seekest. And when he came into her tent, behold, Sisera lay dead, and the nail was in his temples. (Judges 4:22 KJV)

We know who she married, we know she killed a man and Deborah sang her name in praises to the Lord, equating Jael with safety:

Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves. Hear, O ye kings; give ear, O ye princes; I, even I, will sing unto the LORD; I will sing praise to the LORD God of Israel. LORD,  . . . in the days of Jael, the highways were unoccupied, and the travellers walked through byways. (Judges 5:2-6 KJV)

Can we be called as Barak was and be more responsive than he? Can we be remembered as one who followed God’s call with faith, or do we offer God negotiations?

2 comments:

  1. The BEST! I love the story of Deborah and Barak and Jael! So much is packed into their story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I find I skip over these stories too often and there are tons of every day help in them.

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)