Friday, March 1, 2013

Questioned

question
I knew there was a problem the moment I walked into my boss’ office. “What’s wrong?”

“Someone just questioned my integrity.”

In the business world, such a question indicates a loss of confidence in an individual’s ability to deal honestly. When a Christian’s integrity is questioned, it is tantamount to being called a hypocrite. Public decisions Christians make reflect their belief in God.

So many examples flow through my mind – to use them could serve no purpose but to appear as finger-pointing at specific individuals. Instead, think of our own family or professional decisions recently made. Pick one that comes to mind, and ask,
“Does my decision, my action on that decision, reflect that Jesus Christ is my savior and I’m using His life as my example?”
No – I’m not suggesting you do that for every future decision. Establishing credibility within ourselves, though, is a good step in preparing for difficult situations. There will be times when our decisions will be very public, can be controversial and will display how we walk with our Lord.

LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. (Psalms 15:1-2)

Setting God’s word as our standard of integrity will provide the foundation for making sound decisions
.
He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path. When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; (Proverbs 2:8-10)

What Moses told Israel remains truth today:

But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out. (Numbers 32:23)

Just as it was for Solomon’s wisdom to understand:

He that walketh uprightly walketh surely: but he that perverteth his ways shall be known. (Proverbs 10:9)

With Christian maturity comes a trust in the Lord’s ability to provide what we need to continue responding publicly to answers about our faith.

O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in thee. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me; for I wait on thee. (Psalms 25:20-21)

How better to know what He has in mind for us than to ask Him:

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. (Psalms 25:4)

To walk with the Lord means to be a faithful witness to what He has done in our lives, and how that was accomplished. If our faith has grown by the hearing of His word, we need to stand firm on the truth of His word. Peter exhorts us:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15)

The application of God’s word in our lives determines our character – our integrity. What do we believe about God, His word, His promises? How then do we respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)