Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Revisiting A Way

NarrowWay
(It's 4:00 Wednesday morning and we're heading to the hospital in about 15 minutes to check David in for his fistula. I'd appreciate your patience as I post from about a year ago:)

This graphic is another where I can’t give the source. It appears to be a copy of a copy, etc.

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (Matthew 7:14 KJV)

While it does give a good view of a ‘narrow way’ and the distance might appear to be a ‘strait gate,’ it doesn’t convey the thought from Matthew 7 that I have in mind.

You see, I think I know some people who are following that narrow way.  They’ve chosen to do so and by reading God’s word they believe they are moving toward that strait gate.

But sometimes there seems to be more milling around on the road.  People trying to fit personal preferences into the way, actually impeding forward progress of others.  Oh, they haven’t left the narrow way, but they appear to be stepping from side to side rather than focusing on the Lord’s will and moving forward.

Some of my readers think that I’ve spent too much time discussing His will. They ask, “We have the ability to think, shouldn’t we use it?” I certainly hope so!  I do believe I’ve pushed people to do that – think, and think outside the box. However, I have strongly encouraged people to look for, and to follow God’s will – not their own preferences.

Living by our preferences – based on our likes, dislikes, pleasures, desires – is living without regard to rules. This is circumstantial or situational ethics, changing with society’s whims or cultural fluctuations. Preferences have no absolutes and any rules change with what feels good.

It’s those personal preferences that bring us to the edge of the narrow road.  Sort of, “I like eight of those commandments, but the other two just don’t fit my lifestyle, so we can ignore them.”  Won’t take long until all ten are history and we’ve walked over to that broad way.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: (Matthew 7:13 KJV)

David often wrote of God’s path in his Psalms:

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. (Psalms 16:11 KJV)

Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. (Psalms 119:35 KJV)

What do we get for walking the narrow way?  For keeping to His path?  For following His commandments?  We get what He has promised, for we’re told He loves us.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. (1 John 5:3 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)