Saturday, December 1, 2012

Jesus Prayed For You

StJohnsAshfield_StainedGlass_Gethsemane
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; (John 17:20 KJV)

The words have come down for more than two thousand years, and we still come to Him believing. He knew that, and He prayed for each and every one of us. Believers have heard about Him through others, never seeing Him themselves, yet He prayed for us.

He was praying to His – and our – Father:

That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. (John 17:21 KJV)

What a start! He prayed that we might be as they are – one. That’s something so hard for us to believe. Close, yes. Way in the future, of course. Those are limits we’ve placed, though, for all He asked was that we would be one with our Lord.

And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: (John 17:22 KJV)

What a gift! He not only wanted us to be one with Him, He provided Himself to make it possible. He set the standard knowing we would not be able to meet it – then provided the miracle He required. Why? We won’t know the answer to that until He’s ready to tell us, so I don’t see an answer to that question is necessary. If it is for you, keep asking Him. He may tell you it’s all about love:

Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. (John 17:24 KJV)

Where do we go? Where He’s going.  Not just following the path through the cross, but knowing there is a promise of much, much more:

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2 KJV)

That joy existed forever, but came to earth in such a way that we celebrate it each year as Christmas.  The time of the year may be wrong. The number of years most likely is wrong. The message, however, is the same and should not be changed – not a jot nor a tittle.

And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. (Luke 2:10 KJV)

Unfortunately, many still find the message as offensive as the priests who saw to it Jesus was convicted of telling no more than the truth:

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (Luke 2:11 KJV)

We just can’t beat that – we receive it as gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)