Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Right Words

CowCatcher
I often stumble over right wording, trying to express myself while not knowing how my reader will interpret words, phrasing and concepts. What I’m thinking as I write is not always conveyed with the words I choose, and my reader’s view is impacted by personal thoughts and experiences. We don’t see the same subjects in the same way.

In the above graphic – what is shown? Why? I know the story, the names of the men and why they are sitting on the cowcatcher of the engine. Some of my readers will not be familiar with the term cowcatcher and spend time on that word. I know their legs are wrapped in a buffalo robe, not a blanket. Part of the story is on an update in my genealogy website about this photo. Even with that update, this photo’s story is incomplete.

Just as each day I write a blog about Bible verses, and those blogs are incomplete. The Bible itself cannot contain all that God is. One day’s blog is a tiny facet, and I never know if my original thought is conveyed.  I do not, however, concern myself with having written the right word once this is published. If a typo is found, or an error, those will be corrected.

The rest is done after prayer and Bible reading. Though I am not before a magistrate, I do have a critical audience, so I depend on scripture:

And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say. (Luke 12:11-12 KJV)

I depend on Bible verses and prayer when telling what the verses mean to me. I depend on the Comforter:

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

All of this is done without knowing who will read each day’s entry, so all of what I read and right begins for me. It’s not something I think readers will enjoy, heed or even return for tomorrow’s.  It is what I’m thinking about and what I need for my life.  Because It has been good for people for thousands of years, it’s good for me and will be good for my readers.

All I hope for is that my readers will take their own Bible – any version – read the verses I’ve used, reading them in context. Do surrounding verses impact what I’ve written? Are the verses useful in understanding what I have in mind?  Do you get a different meaning from the verses? Tell me about it, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)