Friday, August 17, 2012

Maybe I Read Too Fast!

Desert_River_Wallpaper_jo4kq
Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert. (Isaiah 43:19 KJV)

I’m reading the Bible chronologically and I’m way past Isaiah. And I didn’t remember reading this verse on my way through.  I think I’m reading to fast! Once I finish this particular reading program, it’s time to study.

Actually that could take the rest of my life!

Today, though, I’m thinking about what power it takes to place a river in the desert.  The graphic is not a mirage, but water in the desert. Our Lord has told us that He can do that – make rivers in the desert. Do you doubt that?

He’s also told us:

But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. (Matthew 10:30 KJV)

Yet we doubt Him.  He asks us to believe, He gives us reason to believe and we answer Him they way the father pleading for his son did:

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mark 9:24 KJV)

Perhaps, since He created everything, hung the stars and set the planets in motion, we think He’s too big to think about us.  Perhaps, since we cannot agree upon what He is, what He does that we think He is incomprehensible so we do not try.

Forget that. He has told us Himself that He cares. He knows that we cannot comprehend, so He asks that we accept Him on faith in what we cannot see, what we cannot know, and what well educated, articulate, confident people tell us cannot possible be.

I must admit that my faith is much more than my understanding. I’m not alone in this. As Job, after hearing the Lord speak (Job 38-41), I am aware of my limitations:

Then Job answered the LORD, and said, I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee. Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not. (Job 42:1-3 KJV)

Somehow I doubt that reading slower will cause me to remember all that I read. I will still be surprised when a light dawns on a forgotten verse that has new meaning for me. There’s so much to learn, as John understood:

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. (John 21:25 KJV)

Writing about Him will never cease, till He returns. Until then, we’ll keep looking for rivers in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)