Saturday, July 7, 2012

Soul For Sale

temp
News never ceases to amaze me. There’s always something that appears out of the norm, but Lori’s eBay listing for selling her soul is different. It saddens me to think of how she values her soul, and made me think about souls, individually, personally and in general.

When it comes to souls, we don’t have one, we are one. Christians believe our souls are God given, as described for Adam:

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7 KJV)

But, man is more than body and soul:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV)

Matthew’s reference (quoting Isaiah 42:1) …

Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. (Matthew 12:18 KJV)

… describes to me where my spirit originates.  It comes from God. But there are other spirits, too, which could be why David wrote:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10 KJV)

Reading, studying, coming to understand the word of God through prayer is the best way to renew that right spirit:

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12 KJV)

Are we aware of our spirit separate from our soul? How can all three be kept blameless, as Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians 5:23? I believe part of that answer lies in Christ’s words to the woman at the well:

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:23-24 KJV)

That hour still now is when we are to worship God in spirit and in truth. Not  in some distant future, but now. The woman recognized there was something very special being said to her, and her memory brought forth a promise:

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. (John 4:25 KJV)

His answer is the reason I am concerned about the condition of my spirit and my soul and my body:

Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:26 KJV)

In worshiping, in spirit and in truth, I believe what He said. On the surface, from her eBay listing, it appears Lori does not.  Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)