Friday, July 27, 2012

“One Shade of White”

wordlessbook
Once again I’m a step behind my friend Glenys. She wrote about a current book and "One Shade of White” and it is the first blog I’ve read addressing the problems with the book.

It is not a review, for we cannot review that which we have not read. I will not read it because of what I’ve heard about the theme of the book. Those media reports tell me it doesn’t meet a couple of biblical criteria:

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. (Matthew 15:11 KJV)

Why would I want the words in this book to create the pictures in my mind that I would not want in my home? Why have the book in my home? Have I not been told:

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14 KJV)

My mind contains memories of family, friends, fellowship, Bible verses, history – pieces of all the things that flow through my life, including words from books.  Why would I combine them with this particular book?

From reviews and comments made by others (as well as the silly grins and verbal innuendoes when newscasters refer to it) I’ve reached the conclusion that it does not meet any of this criteria:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)

I do not have to buy it (or borrow it), read it and come to the conclusion that it is not pure, lovely, good, virtuous, or praiseworthy. Instead, what I’m hearing is it falls under the opposite category:

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, (Galatians 5:19 KJV)

Oh, it has made the author (I have no idea who wrote it and don’t care to meet them) a ton of money, with more coming in every day. There will be a film made, with readers wondering, “How will they film that?” and visualizing “that” in their mind. No, thank you, I’d rather have different pictures in my mind.

Will that get me labeled ‘close minded’? Not a problem. I have closed my mind to some things, just as I attempt to keep ants, spiders and scorpions closed out of my home. As Daniel 1:8, I’ve purposed this in my heart not to be defiled.

The graphic above has no shades of grey. It is the Wordless Book designed by Charles H. Spurgeon when he preached on Psalm 51:7. It is a very good prayer to our Lord:

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Psalms 51:6-7 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Amen..Oh be careful little eyes what you see, oh be careful little ears what you hear, oh be careful little mouth what you say, there's a father up above who is looking down in love so be careful little members what you see, hear and say, where you go and what you do..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)