Sunday, July 29, 2012

My Shepherd

GoodShepherd
Jesus portrayed Himself as the good shepherd, especially in John’s tenth chapter:

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. (John 10:11 KJV)

My personal opinion of sheep is that they pretty much do need a shepherd. People, on the other hand, are somewhat insulted when they are compared to sheep.  Not me.  I love the portrait of the Lord being my shepherd in Psalm 23. I love the green pastures and still waters – but strongly depend on Him through the valleys, even those without the shadow of death.

Some are offended when I equate Jesus with David’s shepherd. This has been so since He said:

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. (John 10:27-30 KJV)

The people around Him understood that He was equating Himself with God. So strong was their aversion to this:

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. (John 10:31 KJV)

They weren’t the only ones. People have been attempting to change – or erase – His words since they were spoken. His words were what carried Him to the cross – equating Himself with God.
Had they believed, there was much to gain, just as Jairus and the woman who reached out and touched in, told in Mark 5:22-43. He confirmed this is one verse:

As soon as Jesus heard the word that was spoken, he saith unto the ruler of the synagogue, Be not afraid, only believe. (Mark 5:36 KJV)

Instead, we remain afraid. Men tell us “He is not who he said he was. He never said he was the son of God. God cannot come as a man. God is not interested in man. God does not exist.” We are afraid they are right, and we don’t believe:

Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. (John 10:25 KJV)

How dare we listen to the father of lies when we’ve been told since childhood:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Can we do as well as a sin filled Samaritan woman?  Can we know what the scriptures say, and hear His response:

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. (John 4:25-26 KJV)

Before touching Him, can we truthfully respond as Thomas did:

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (John 20:28 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)