Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What and Why?

Heart Bible
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. (Mark 9:23-24 KJV)

Sunday night our Youth Pastor described things he admired about each of our graduates.  Mentioned more than once were the students who asked questions.  He told us that’s the best way to learn what we believe, and why.

We taught that in Sunday School, too. Do not accept what we, as teachers, said.  Instead, look to the source.  We teach that the Bible is our source and it is valid to check where the Bible originated, who wrote it. There are many examples, but one I really like is Jeremiah.

Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:4-5 KJV)

Jeremiah’s response is one that was repeated elsewhere – Moses, Jonah, and many others:

Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. (Jeremiah 1:6 KJV)

I really love God’s answer to that:

But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak. Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD. (Jeremiah 1:7-8 KJV)

Then we find out how the book of Jeremiah was written:

Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth. (Jeremiah 1:9 KJV)

The Bible was given to men, lots of men, across hundreds of years, inspired (God breathed into them) to write the words He put into their mouths. Learn about those men and the messages they gave – then we can tell if the words were meant for one time or for all time.

When the source is clear, then the message can be accepted – or rejected. Some will reject.  It’s their decision and no one can change that for anyone else. We can pray that once they understand the source is God, they will know what they believe, and why. Then be ready to give their own answer:

But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15 KJV)

Even when we know the source and believe in God, there are questions in our mind, just as the father in Mark 9. As he did, we can stand before our Lord and ask help thou mine unbelief.

We are imperfect.  We will have doubts. His word provides answers so that we, too, can say:

… for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day. (2 Timothy 1:12 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)