Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Meekness

sunrise
But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. (Psalms 37:11 KJV)

Now where else have we heard that?

Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. (Matthew 5:5 KJV)

Yep, one of the “Be Attitudes.” Remember? And the Bible has examples of people who were meek.  The first one was the leader of a people who were homeless, without a nation of their own, servants to others.

(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) (Numbers 12:3 KJV)

We don’t think of him that way, do we?  This man who was raised in the house of pharaoh, killed as a young adult, fled, married and settled down to the life of a herdsman. Then stood before pharaoh demanding, “Let my people go.” This man was meek above all others?

Isaiah prophesied about the meek:

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; (Isaiah 61:1 KJV)

Those words were read over and over again in the synagogue – once that I wish I could have heard, along with the next sentence:

And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. (Luke 4:21 KJV)

Since then we have heard the good tidings preached, our broken hearts have been healed, we are no longer captive to sin nor imprisoned by our earned guilt.  We have been given the truth and it has set us free.

We have answered the invitation from a man who described himself as meek:

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. (Matthew 11:29 KJV)

Of course, not all believed, not all are free, though other scriptures have been fulfilled:

And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: (Matthew 13:14 KJV)

There will come a time, though, when remaining prophecies shall be fulfilled:

I have sworn by myself, the word is gone out of my mouth in righteousness, and shall not return, That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear. (Isaiah 45:23 KJV)

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. (Romans 14:11-12 KJV)

My suggestion would be that we not wait until that moment to begin thinking about the account we’ll be giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)