Sunday, February 5, 2012

Measuring

Inchworm_on_raspberry

Well, this inchworm is measuring raspberries, because I couldn’t find a graphic showing an inchworm measuring marigolds. If inchworms and marigolds don’t go together in your mind, you didn’t spend a few years listening to Captain Kangaroo.

It was a morning television show for children from 1955 through 1984, covering my late teens through my children’s early teens. I heard the inchworm song a lot!!

Two and two are four
Four and four are eight
Eight and eight are sixteen
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty-two
Inchworm, inchworm
Measuring the marigold

I used this same graphic with other verses almost a year ago, writing about favorite songs and how they stick in our minds. Measuring came to mind this time from a Bible verse, not a song verse:

LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am. (Psalms 39:4 KJV)

Trust me – I know how frail I am.  It’s a lot less than my Beloved Husband’s frailty right now, but I am frail.  I need help, and I receive it from a wide variety of people.  I tell them:  THANKS!!!

And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee. (Psalms 39:7 KJV)

The question, and the answer, are as much mine as David’s.  I wait upon the Lord, where my hope remains.

Unlike David, we are not beset by political enemies but the natural process of humanity.  Our bodies are frail and failing over time. Doesn’t have to be old age that does it (though we are closing in on that time.)  No one knows their true measure – the number of days remaining here.  We need to use them wisely, giving careful thought to how they are spent. Here’s a suggestion:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are of good report;
if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
(Philippians 4:8 KJV)


That would certainly help provide the strength David requested:

O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more. (Psalms 39:13 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)