Friday, February 17, 2012

Awake!

sunrise
Awake up, my glory; awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early. (Psalms 57:8 KJV)

The introduction to this psalm says “To the chief Musician, Altaschith, Michtam of David, when he fled from Saul in the cave.” The first of the psalm shows a person reaching out to God in trust:

Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast. (Psalms 57:1 KJV)

But also in torment:

My soul is among lions: and I lie even among them that are set on fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. (Psalms 57:4 KJV)

He moves between praises for God:

Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens; let thy glory be above all the earth. (Psalms 57:5 KJV)

And fear of his enemies:

They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down: they have digged a pit before me, into the midst whereof they are fallen themselves. Selah. (Psalms 57:6 KJV)

Our lives fluctuate as David’s – valleys and mountain tops, sorrow and joy, fear and comfort.  Thankfully, my ‘enemies’ do not seek my life! Most of mine are fears of my own creation, not the person God has chosen me to replace.

For just a moment, the vision of a new pastor in any church came to mind. For whatever reason, he is taking the place of another man who ostensibly was chosen by God to lead a congregation. In most instances, there will be those who do not like the change.

Yes, I could give examples, but David has given better ones of a man, anointed by God to replace one anointed by God. He recognized that, though the original had to be replaced, he was still to be respected. Though there are snares along the way, designed to cause missteps, with God’s help he’ll find a way around them. And, Saul’s death brought him sorrow, along with death to the man who took Saul’s life.

October contains Pastor Appreciation day, but wouldn’t it be nice if a congregation thought of him all year long?  Any given service, any given day, we could stand with our pastor, remembering David’s words of praise:

I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: I will sing unto thee among the nations. For thy mercy is great unto the heavens, and thy truth unto the clouds. Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: let thy glory be above all the earth. (Psalms 57:9-11 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)