Monday, December 5, 2011

An Absence of Faith


Tim Tebow continues to be the subject of news items, cartoons and blogs.  I like the perspective given by Martha Randolph on December 2nd. I like best that it is not tied to the Christian faith.  It would be applicable for any person of any faith.

She tells us that every one is:  “… offering their opinions freely about whether or not a public display of faith is acceptable, or even appropriate, all the time. Everyone keeps saying this controversy is about Tebow and his actions.”

Should an overt act of faith be controversial?  Is it morally correct for anyone to overtly, quite publically, mock another’s act of faith?

I like how she gives us Tebow’s viewpoint:  “Tebow has also not said that his faith means God is on his side,” and I agree fully.  What I write here are my thoughts on what I’ve deemed to be God’s word.  Doesn’t make it right, doesn’t make the blog – or me – better than anyone else.

I do, however, state my faith openly and, I hope, strongly.  That’s how I feel about it.  It permeates everything in my life. There are other people, other faiths, who feel the same way, desiring to share their faith, without rancor, without blame.

Randolph concludes that it’s partly our time, where naysayers
“… may have underestimated the rest of us, of our particular faith, who are exhausted by the economy, the political primaries, the Kardashians and the general backbiting that’s become a part of our culture.We’re rooting for the good guy because he’s saying something we want to believe.”
Whether he’s leading our favorite team or not, we really do root for the good guy, and hope there are more like him, whether they be Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim or any other belief system. I believe we should.

Does that change my own faith – nope.  Do I believe I’ve correctly interpreted the scriptures – for the most part. I’m imperfect, working toward understanding.  And sharing that understanding as I move along my path.

That path is based on multiple verses, including but not limited to:

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalms 119:105 KJV)

With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:10-11 KJV)

Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:36-40 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)