Sunday, November 20, 2011

They Are Just Words

Bible-2
Doesn’t matter how good they look or sound or who is speaking or reading or who is listening.  Words simply make up sentences, displayed in a book, on a screen or simply flow out of a person’s mouth. Even the written word of God is inactive until it is applied in a person’s life.

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. (Proverbs 30:5-6 KJV)

A very good example falls just a verse below that one:

Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: Lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain. (Proverbs 30:8-9 KJV)

Solomon at least gives a reason for his request.  He understands the outcome of either extreme and he shows consequences.  One would be truthful in saying that he had the riches, though.  That it is much easier for a rich man to be content with what he has than it is for a poor man.

Richness truly is relative, though.  Esau would be considered a rich man in many ways, even though he sold his birthright to Jacob.

For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears. (Hebrews 12:17 KJV)

They are just words when we deny the Lord or take his name in vain. They were just words when Esau exchanged his birthright for a bite to eat.  Those words change the course of lives even today.

More words are thrown out for people to read today than every before in the history of mankind.  They don’t tell us anything new.  Mine sure don’t. Mine speak of the old, true and faithful.

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9 KJV)

There will come a time, however, when all is new. John saw it and used words to describe what was new, and what happened to the old:

And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. (Revelation 21:1 KJV)

Some words are lies, and we believe them. Some are true, and we ignore them. God's word is true and faithful.

And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. (Revelation 21:5-7 KJV)

That is the God I serve. That is the throne I will stand before for my judgment. Praise God, I thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)