Friday, November 11, 2011

Impossible

Impossible
It is impossible for me to say, “That’s my favorite verse.”  I can’t even find my favorite psalm!

In the dark of the morning, awakened with a panicked dream, I find solace in His word.  Reading another’s blog, what came to mind was:

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalms 118:24 KJV)

By saying “we will rejoice and be glad,” it reminds me of Daniel’s purposing in his heart.  No matter that panic woke me and sits at the edge of my fear, I will rejoice and be glad in this day created by God.

The dream poked at my complacency.  Thinking about it afterward did give me a perspective on what caused the fear, and I must face its reality.  I’m not alone in that.  The other blog that brought to mind this psalm was written by a wife facing the diagnosis of a malignancy in her husband and the treatments that must follow that diagnosis. Harsh reality.

The reason that verse comes to mind, though, goes back almost two decades when I was at the hospital for pre-op.  Alone, waiting for the nurse to take blood and ask a multitude of questions, a lady stopped by the door and asked how I was doing.  My response was that it was a great day, “How else could it be when it is the day the Lord had made and we are to rejoice!”

Instead of just passing by, she said, “You must be a believer,” and stepped into the room for a chat.  I learned that she had just been appointed as a chaplain, this was her first day on the job, and finding a fellow Christian first thing in the morning was a lift for her.

Which one of us did God place there to help the other?  Doesn’t matter – we both were blessed by the experience.

So many verses I know have a similar application in my life.  They are verses shared by or with others.  I’ve seen them at work in people’s lives, and have been blessed through them.

I haven’t memorized the rest of this psalm, but from its beginning it is a blessing:

O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth for ever. (Psalms 118:1 KJV)

Heading toward the end of the chapter is a firm statement of the author’s faith:

Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee. (Psalms 118:28 KJV)

Then the chapter closes as it began, giving thanks.  Now, couldn’t that be an absolute favorite?  Until we get to so many of the other verses I’ve quoted over the years.  And, the reason for doing so:

With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:10-11 KJV)

See, another awesome verse – and there are sooooo many more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)