Sunday, November 27, 2011

Eagles

temp
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31 KJV)

If I had more time I would have photographed Beloved Husband’s eagle collection.  Well, at least a part of it. There are small toy eagles and large cast porcelain, with several varieties in between.  He’s admired them and added to his collection over the years until we have a display cabinet filled and running over.

As he is in NICU surrounded by tubing, machines, constant beeps and hums, we wanted to put something up to make it more ‘at home’ for him.  Putting up a few scriptures was one of the decisions, and this is his favorite verse.  I found the graphic on Wikipedia Commons, and thought it was very appropriate!

His strength is limited, and only time will tell how much will be returned over the next few days, or weeks.  But – and this is a huge deal for us – his spirit is great!  His sense of humor is evident when he cracks a joke with friends and family filling the room.  Thank God that the neurological ICU allows family members to be with patients.  His breathing crisis was serious enough to require an air flite from our local hospital to the metroplex.  Fortunately, his neurologist is one of the best in the state.

Now, some people would focus on the gravity of the disease, wondering why God would afflict anyone with such a dreadful death sentence.  Frankly, human life is terminal.  We all will face it, and it will never be easy when it is someone we love. It’s hard, too, when it’s ourselves.

Friday he fought to tell me he knew he was dying. He wanted me to know he wasn’t afraid to die, but suffocating terrified him, and he panicked. That is more than understandable. Yet, he was able to tell me that he was not afraid of dying, not afraid of facing the Lord, of joining Him in heaven. By the grace of God and the hard work of many professionals, he remains with us! There is more to come. More verses, too.

You see, he has other favorite, very important verses that will also go up on the NICU wall:

Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved. …  Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work. (Psalms 62:1-12 KJV)

My Beloved Husband has faced his mortality. He is ready to be judged according to his work.

So should we all.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Grammy Blick -

    Oh, dear precious lady, I'm so glad that our Lord led me here today.

    My heart goes out to you and your family. It is such a pleasure to know of the spirit of your darling husband and the love that is so obvious in what you have expressed here.

    May the peace of GOD give you assurances in bountiful measure.

    Psalm 28:7
    The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusteth in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been praying for your "Beloved Husband" and you for some weeks now -- and I will continue.

    Incidentally Isaiah 40:31 has become my "Senior Verse" ever since I noticed the progression is the reverse of what we might expect (from flight, to running, to walking). Many of us seniors are no longer flying but we can still be serving in one way or another into our later years.

    May God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grammy:

    You are an inspiration to many. I will be praying that the Lord will increase you and your husband's peace and joy in these trying times.

    And that He will send ministering angels to guide the doctors as god works His miracles.

    God bless you both, Bob West

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)