Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Where Did You Learn About Religion?

temp
Every once in a while I wonder where people get their ideas about Christianity.  Often, online, I read where people write very derogatory things about Christians as a whole.  Some are personal experiences, some based on their view of historic events. How is religion viewed?

Muslims throw up the thousand-year-old crusades from western Europe as though it happened yesterday.  Christians have 9/11, which relatively speaking was yesterday.  Atheists look at both and see only animosity in them and other religions.

I read this on another website -- a comment left by a reader on a Christian blog about love:
"I don't need to read you, because if you love your God you have to love to everybody,"
I’m not sure what was meant by the sentence, but the author certainly had gained some knowledge of, and made a decision about, a Christian’s God. I wonder where that knowledge was gained, and I wonder about my reader’s.  Some state they have read God’s word, others state it has no value for them.  What I do here every day depends on how I view what I read of His word.

I believe reading the Bible will teach us what He has in mind for mankind.  While I use and appreciate study guides and lessons, I believe reading His word in prayer provides His plans for our lives.

I first learned about the Bible from my grandmother.  My Mom and Dad were without a church home for a while, but by the time I was eleven, lessons began in earnest.  I also learned about other beliefs.  It was a part of the lessons in our congregation – it’s hard to know what one believes without understanding why it is different from others.

So I learned about other Christian denominations.  I also learned about the differences among Jews today, not just the Sadducees and Pharisees of the New Testament.  I found Islam divided, too, beyond the Shi’ite and Sunni majorities. I’ve had a copy of the Book of Mormon, and while in Taiwan had the opportunity to read Buddha’s teachings.  I’m uncertain about the polytheism of Hindu deities, though I’ve discussed some specifically with co-workers.

My Muslim co-worker told me everyone is born a Muslim, but many are led astray to wrong religions, by society, by their parents or others. So far, that’s the only religion I’m aware of that is all inclusive – for a short time.  Also, I have yet to run across a religion that accepts everyone as they are, with no change in spiritual growth.

So, my question is – where did you learn about religion?  Did you trust that source/sources as much as I trust my path?

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV)

That was written by a man who sought to kill Christ’s followers before they were called Christian. God’s ability to change lives is greatly evidenced in Paul’s. Those who come to Him are changed, forever.

1 comment:

  1. Much of what I know, I learned as a child from SS, we always went and I gleaned lots for my teacher, then as I grew up and was saved I read, and read, then read some more, I never take any ones word for what they think God says, I look myself and read what God says.
    Praise God for a Pastor who encouraged us to read the bible. Good post have a great and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)