Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Psalm 46

Psalm46-10
Couldn’t find it on CNN.com but MSNBC and on Fox I found written confirmation that it was Psalm 46 that President Obama read at the 9/11 Memorial (as he did in Tucson).  Why is that of interest to me?  It was the same scripture chosen by our Pastor for our Sunday morning sermon.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. (Psalms 46:1 KJV)

I don’t know what Obama thought of this as he read, but our Pastor acknowledged that we, as individuals, as a people, as a country, are experiencing trouble.  After 9/11 we did come together as a diverse nation and worked toward common goals.  That change was momentary, it did not last.  Frankly, it appears we’ve forgotten to:

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalms 46:10 KJV)

Pastor read several other scriptures that the Lord had given His people as to how they should behave.  One was Jeremiah 18:8, and my eyes traveled up the page and thought of our nation.  Actually, of any nation, but ours right now as it is painfully vitriolic, unable to communicate within itself without hate.

Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel. (Jeremiah 18:5-6 KJV)

Christians believe that, as with individuals, all nations are within God’s hands, to be molded as He wills. When we do not follow His will, there are consequences.  As Jeremiah saw, something in the clay causes the results to be marred.  When mankind reaches for its own will instead of God’s, the results can be devastating.

And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. (Jeremiah 18:4 KJV)

The Lord sent Jeremiah to the potter’s house to hear a lesson and share it as scripture:

The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words. (Jeremiah 18:1-2 KJV)

Jeremiah was also told who was in control.

At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it; (Jeremiah 18:7 KJV)

And, he was told what would happen if the people DID listen.

If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them. And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it; (Jeremiah 18:8-9 KJV)

It is not a matter of love, it is a matter of repenting, changing direction, turning from what we truly know are wicked ways.  In 2 Chronicles 7:12-13 the Lord describes to Solomon His abilities to act against a nation. Then, He promises:

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV)

Are you praying?  He is listening, not only in Jerusalem.

Now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. (2 Chronicles 7:15 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)