Friday, September 23, 2011

Passing?

TwoLane
We drive roads similar to this photo quite often. (We could use some more of those clouds that promise rain, though!) They wiggle and wander across our countryside and give few opportunities to pass.  I was on one yesterday that ambled as this does, just a little rolling-hill countryside two-lane road.

I don’t speed (often) and do try to keep within five miles an hour of the posted speed limit.  Often there is someone behind me who finds that pace to slow.  S/He ought to be behind me after dark – I’m close to ten mph slower!

Today an incident reminded me of people who just can’t stand to be behind another vehicle, and that applies to Christians, too, who find themselves ready to speed down that narrow way to the strait gate. When they find themselves behind a new Christian, or one studying a specific doctrinal point, moving slower, they can get impatient, too.

I can understand their eagerness to press on toward the goal, but I’m reminded of how Jesus stopped along the way, while everyone else was rushing.

And he must needs go through Samaria. (John 4:4 KJV)

At Jacob’s well, a gift to Joseph, He sat and talked with a woman. Her story is loved and has been reflected in many others.  There’s no indication of why “he must needs go through Samaria,” but we use the story to grow more like Him.  Another such story is of Jairus’ daughter:

And besought him greatly, saying, My little daughter lieth at the point of death: I pray thee, come and lay thy hands on her, that she may be healed; and she shall live. (Mark 5:23 KJV)

A life or death situation where time is of the essence, a child’s life at stake – and Jesus stops in a crowd of people and asks “Who touched my clothes?” Not His arm, not any portion of his body, but just touched His garment.  Of course, the child was not harmed by this delay. And there are other such stops.  How about Zacchaeus?  You haven’t forgotten that early Bible story of the short man, have you?

And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house. (Luke 19:5 KJV)

Must abide,” not visit, not dine, not sup – “I must abide at thy house.” That’s what I want, for Jesus to abide in my house.  I want Him to use me to further His work, to use the gifts provided to accomplish His will.

And that may mean slowing down along that narrow way to the strait gate.  Not passing up opportunities to help others as they make their own way to the goal God has set for them.  We don’t know when the journey will end, and although we are looking forward to that reunion, be patient.  Enjoy the journey with your brothers and sisters in Christ, you’ll be spending eternity with them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)