Thursday, March 24, 2011

Which will love Him most?

Jesus_Meal_house_simon_pharisee_xil2_hi

Much earlier I wrote about the Alabaster Box.  We tend to focus on the woman and the her actions in this story,  but today I want to focus on the aftermath from Luke.

Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? (Luke 7:39-42 KJV)

Tell me, which one do you think did love him most?  Simon the Pharisee had to guess at the answer:

Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. (Luke 7:43 KJV)

Is there anywhere in the Bible where it says:  “Some sins are greater than others and God will take longer to forgive them”; or “… they are not forgivable”?  I haven’t found such verses, but I may have missed them.  I have read some commentaries that appear to prioritize sins. While our legal system offers a variety of penalties based on types of crimes, I don’t find that to be a part of God’s forgiveness.  My Bible tells me there is only one unforgivable sin.

Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. (Matthew 12:31 KJV)

Oh, my – look at that verse.  It says “all manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men.”  Let me repeat the key words:  All manner.  Sin and blasphemy.  Forgiven.

Let me use another verse about least and most:

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. (Luke 15:7 KJV)

Now, we know we all need repentance.  Jesus emphasized it in Luke:

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:3 KJV)

The joy in heaven only comes over a sinner’s repentance, but that joy must be greater for the repentance of a long-term, in-depth sinner, the forgiveness of greater debt.  Please note that repentance is required, and forgiveness is available.  Upon receipt, we gratefully love the Lord who forgave us.

Which of them will love him most?  The one who needed forgiveness the most – and received it.  The sinning woman understood, but the judgmental, legalistic Pharisee did not.  Even when he answered Christ he simply supposed, he did not answer with certainty.  Had he realized he needed and then received God’s forgiveness, he would have understood.

Do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)