Thursday, March 3, 2011

Is He Your God?

OMG
And said, O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift up my face to thee, my God: for our iniquities are increased over our head, and our trespass is grown up unto the heavens. (Ezra 9:6 KJV)

It’s like learning a whole new language.  There was an active FB/text user who passed away and her husband is introducing himself in her place.  He asked, “What’s LOL?”  That’s only the beginning.  There are some FB/text acronyms I will not reuse here, and I only use OMG to enter an explanation as to why I will not be using it.

The phrase “O my God” is used in 21 verses in King James Bibles.  Most are David’s psalms, but there are also verses in 1 Chronicles, Extra, Nehemiah and Daniel.  In each and every instances, the reference is to a person’s speaking directly to God in a petition.  The phrase is designed to get His attention.

It’s a personal phrase.  Now, when you read it in a message, can you ascertain whether or not the writer believes they are addressing their personal God?  Or is it a general exclamation of something that might be unbelievable, or is desired to be deniable?  Do you read these initials as the words were meant to be – words to obtain the attention of an omnipotent deity – or just a phrase to be idly tossed about?

Are you saying to Him:

O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste for my help. (Psalms 71:12 KJV)

Or is a toss away phrase that takes His name in vain?

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. (Exodus 20:7 KJV)

There are many guilty things hanging about my life.  This need not be one of them.  I am aware of His presence.  I do call upon Him and I enjoy being near Him.  I have prayed, as David:

Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice: have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek. (Psalms 27:7-8 KJV)

The obverse of that coin are those who use the phrase without thought of what the words mean.  Perhaps, to them, there is no meaning.  However, we all will stand before Him to hear our judgment, where we must answer for every idle word, as Christ promised:

But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36 KJV)

While crying/writing out in front of others, is “O my God” only idle words taken in vain, or are we ready to talk to Him face to face?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)