Sunday, October 3, 2010

Rosebud

Often times I really am the last kid on the block and I receive something new to me in e-mail that appears in over 65,000 places on the web. I know this for a fact because I Googled “unfold a rosebud”.

If you haven’t read it, Google and you’ll find the poem as its author said was quoted from an older pastor to a younger one. The poem is lovely, as is the concept that human hands cannot unfold a rosebud without destroying it.

I see the application in lives around me. We know so much about what is best for others and we endeavor to get them to follow what we have in mind. My readers see that in me – since Bible reading means so much in my life, I would love to have every reader join in on a regular basis. I do believe that is God’s plan, to reach people through His word. He makes promises for those who read it, and for those who follow it. I believe those promises.

Some do not.

Except for the written words here, I can do no more to attempt to open the rosebud of their understanding. What I have written is to their rosebud but a little light. Much more must shine on it before it opens itself to God’s will in its existence. Will it open in beauty, spreading fragrance to be enjoyed by others?

Amanda McBroom could have been thinking of such as she wrote the lyrics for “The Rose.”


“That with the sun's love, in the spring
Becomes the rose”


Bette Midler’s recording comes in second best – a soloist in a Disciples of Christ church in Bethany, Oklahoma sang it a cappella the Sunday our preacher used it for his sermon on God’s love. It was beautiful. But not as beautiful as the message that God’s love is available for the asking.

His love, His will, His plans will open our rosebuds into beautiful bouquets. Then we will match the lilies of His fields.

Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. (Matthew 6:28b-29 KJV)

Do we fail because we lack faith? Not a problem, He knows that.

Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? (Matthew 6:30 KJV)

He told us what He expects.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Matthew 6:33 KJV)

Bloom beautifully where you are planted.

1 comment:

  1. Grammy Blick, this is such a beautiful post... it ministered to me greatly.

    I fear I am my own worst enemy at times... so that I damage my very own rosebud, my heart.

    I will take these thoughts with me, throughout my day.

    I just loved this... thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)