Thursday, September 23, 2010

Writing

The magazine article had a sentence that stopped me in my tracks: “It doesn’t take long for confusion to cause frustration.”

Frustration is defined as disappointment, the feeling of defeat and of anger. The natural function of anger is to protect something of value. Anger becomes a problem when it is recurring and makes a person act against their best interests. Of course, that’s my rather simplistic view of an emotion we all experience, as did this author.

The article was written by a woman in her 40’s whose mammogram discovered cancer that required treatment to save her life. Shortly after she completed her treatment, resulting in cancer-free tests, new government guidelines were released stating it was not necessary for women in their 40’s to have mammograms. Waiting until their 50’s for their first, then waiting two years instead of having them each year was the new suggestion.

Yet, this woman knew that had she waited, she would not have reached 50. Thus the confusion that led to her anger. The anger led her to write this article detailing her story. She did so in order for other women to act in protection of their valuable lives.

Do you realize that’s why I write these blogs? I am confused as to why people do not take religion very seriously. At times I do feel frustrated, that I’m not making myself clear. I feel a strong need to make someone think about why they are reading a Bible related blog.

I want, oh so very strongly, for the reader to understand that God is speaking to them through His word. Not what I write, but the books written over millennia that He has preserved for us.

In all the world there is not another book like the Bible.

I am concerned that when a person waits to open it and study it that they face the very real possibility they will not be here to do so. Our time in this world is limited. Some stay for a century or a bit more; the majority leave much sooner. As anyone’s time spent here lengthens, it is obvious the remaining time shortens.

If I offend by stating this obvious fact, I cannot apologize. The Bible tells us:

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (Hebrews 9:27 KJV)

While some may ignore that first phrase, it is undeniably true. I fear for those who ignore the second. Thus, I write.

(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) (2 Corinthians 6:2 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)