Saturday, September 4, 2010

Psalm 9

Another blogger mentioned Psalms 9, so I read it. What an example of praise to God!

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. (Psalms 9:1 KJV)

The first phrase, I do. And with my whole heart, for a while, but too soon I’m distracted and things return to normal. Unlike David, I have not shown forth His marvelous works, though I am aware of very many.

We have so many answered prayers this year, most related to health of loved ones in God’s family. Some of the requests have been posted here. Our church friend with leukemia – she’s in remission. No sign of the cells that coursed through her bloodstream. No longer is there a tumor wrapped within her teeth. Her hair is returning, no change in color, no apparent change in texture. All of those are answered prayers, and we give Him praise and glory for them.

My sister-in-law remains wrapped in prayer. There are many medical reasons for doing so. Yet we sing His praises that she is here with us after besting Hodgkins more than 40 years ago. We praise Him for every day she remains with us.

A young boy was injured when an unnoticed spray can ended up in a burn pile. Those usually consist of tree branches, leaves, old lumber, fence posts, etc., piled up to burn when the weather is right (which isn’t too often!!) His face was seared and peppered with black soot. A picture was posted on our Church account along with a prayer request. No more black spots. No scars at all. Eyebrows returned, too. We praise Him and watch this young man on Sunday evenings as he continues to recite Bible verses.

I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. (Psalms 9:2 KJV)

Some of the verses are not as close to my heart as I feel no enemies, except the one that works against all who love God.

But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment. And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness. (Psalms 9:7-8 KJV)

For those in need, He is a place of comfort and protection.

The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble. (Psalms 9:9 KJV)

There is a theme of good and evil, protection and punishment.

The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah. The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God. (Psalms 9:16-17 KJV)

An interesting, thought provoking Psalm that I had not spent time with before. I hope you’ll take time to read it all. Oh, yes – in the Hebrew version, the KJV first verse is divided into two. Interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)