Sunday, January 10, 2010

Is Religion A Headache?

We run across some of the nicest things by chance - or design? Through several handheld devices and phones, I’ve had a copy of the King James Version of the Bible available for study. With each device, changes in either OS or hardware required different software. This last time e-sword was not compatible with the hardware, so I returned to Olive Tree.

Along with the KJV, there were several books and study aids that were free, so I downloaded a few. Among them was “God of All Comfort.” The introduction included:

“I was once talking about Christianity with an intelligent agnostic, whom I very much wished to influence. After listening to me politely for a little while, he said, “Well, madam, all I have to say is this. If you Christians want to make us agnostics inclined to look into your religion, you must try and be more comfortable in the possession of it yourselves. The Christians I meet seem to me to be the most uncomfortable people anywhere around. They seem to carry their religion as a man carries a headache. He does not want to get rid of his head, but at the same time it is very uncomfortable to have it. And I for one do not care to have that sort of religion.’”

Do we carry our religion as though it were uncomfortable? If not, why then are the attendance figures for Sunday morning the peak, with remaining services trailing off through the week? Would employers retain employees who attended to business in such a manner?

Do we kneel before Him and say:

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. (Psalms 9:1-2 KJV)

Are we glad? Do we rejoice? He does require our whole heart:

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (Matthew 4:10 KJV)

Personally, I find being a Christian a joy. I kneel before God, praising his marvellous works, seeking His mercy and His grace. I trust His promises and rely on His word. If none of that applies, why assume the title Christian? Is being a church member only a social obligation – necessary for acceptance? Is it something to be done for a family member?

Do I doubt, fall short and ask for forgiveness? Yes. Still, I know His name, and I seek Him.

And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee. (Psalms 9:10 KJV)

Come, learn of Him. Come to know His name.

… and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: (Exodus 3:13b-14a KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

Get rid of the headache. Find the peace He promises.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)