Thursday, November 19, 2009

We Are Known



(This photo was forwarded in an e-mail several years ago, and it touched my heart with its reality. I believe it is appropriate here and I do wish I could properly acknowledge -- and thank --its owner.)

I was thinking of a child’s voice lifted in worship and praise. She has done so before our congregation several times, and we have been lifted and blessed by her talent. She comes from a talented family.

Just a short time ago her pregnant mother had amniocentesis. Her doctor was concerned about a factor or two. As in her previous pregnancy, test results indicated abnormalities and her doctor again mentioned medical abortion. The parents opted – as they had done in the previous pregnancy – to continue looking forward to what God had in store for them.

I have no clue what tests returned the chromosomal abnormalities nor why they did so, but both children’s births were normal. Their development is quite normal. Well, not so much now for that older child – the one who lifted our hearts and our spirits with her voice. Her talent is far above 'normal.' We shall see what talents display for the younger.

And I cannot help but wonder how many families have taken the other path. Opting for ending a questionable pregnancy.

I wonder that as I spend time with another child whose development has not been normal. One who will never complete a Sunday School lesson. May never understand what teenagers are talking about. One who greets us with smiles and hugs and tells us we are loved.

I wonder, but will never ask, if her mother was offered the option.

Jeremiah tells us that God knew what he would be before he was formed: Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jeremiah 1:4-5 KJV)

David tells us: I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. (Psalms 139:14 KJV)

Why do we require perfection? Because we, or our child, will experience pain and difficulties in life? Where else do we expect, much less achieve, such perfection?

So much has changed during the lifetime of my children. There were no such tests before they were born. Lawyers had not approached Norma McCorvey to carry their banner. There was not yet a Roe to be adverse to Wade.

Shortly after my children were born, another mother became pregnant. The option to end her pregnancy was available as she fought Hodgkins disease. The pregnancy would deplete her energy, place her child at risk. She, too, opted to continue through operations and treatments. We now visit her son and his family with great pleasure. We look forward to that son’s future grandchildren with joy in our hearts.

And, we depend on a God of whom we say, as David did: Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. (Psalms 139:16 KJV)

1 comment:

  1. Amen! What a wonderful photo! Praise the Lord for parents who follow Him and not the doctors.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)