Saturday, November 7, 2009

He Is Worthy!!!

And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy to open the book, and to loose the seals thereof? And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon. (Revelation 5:2-4 KJV)

God planned for One who is worthy.

I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: (Matthew 3:11 KJV)

John blossomed where God planted him, and knew there would come one greater. Mark quoted is remarks with greater emphasis:

And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. (Mark 1:7 KJV)

Not worthy to even kneel and unloosen Christ’s shoes. Yet, John was doing what God sent him to do. Obviously, doing a good job of it, for he had many followers and had prepared the way for Jesus’ ministry. Luke included the incident in his declaration of these things:

John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: (Luke 3:16 KJV)

John includes the incident in his opening chapter, too:

He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe's latchet I am not worthy to unloose. (John 1:27 KJV)

Luke mentions it again as he writes the history of the early church in Acts, in Paul’s marvelous sermon at Antioch:

And as John fulfilled his course, he said, Whom think ye that I am? I am not he. But, behold, there cometh one after me, whose shoes of his feet I am not worthy to loose. (Acts 13:25 KJV)

There is no doubt, no controversy, no omission to discuss. Christ was deemed worthy. Just as God, on His throne, is worthy:

The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. (Revelation 4:10-11 KJV)

There will come a time when the worthy One is required: Such a glorious response from the elder, though, as John wept.

And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne. And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints. And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; (Revelation 5:7-9 KJV)

As John said, lo those many generations ago, Behold the Lamb of God! (John 1:36b KJV)

It is through the Lamb of God that I shall be counted worthy to behold Him.

Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)