Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Comfort

The southern part of the United States is well known for Comfort Food. AllRecipes.com has a section explaining some of the origins of these favored dishes. Do not confuse them with Southern Comfort Whiskey, though. The Food Network offers a Comfort Food section, too, though not confined to southern recipes.

We all enjoy the warmth and homecoming feelings with foods associated with family and fellowship. They are also associated with bodily growth, which is not something we’re looking for. Used to be that physical labor took care of that growth part and laborers could begin a work day with meat, eggs, potato and gravies that were sopped up with homemade biscuits, if not with homemade bread.

Unless you’re on a ranch in Wyoming or a farm in Amish country, those days are pretty much gone. Now we’re counting calories, checking for fiber and thinking yogurt makes a fine meal. I’m not to the yogurt meal, yet.

I fully understand the need for comfort food. Beloved Husband has taken care of that for me with his marvelous chicken soup. I checked
my recipe Blogspot and found that I have not posted that particular soup. I’ll try to get that done today.

My doctor said that homemade chicken soup is very good for someone sick. What it lacks in big scientific words, it makes up for in love and warmth. It is true comfort food.

Filled by this comfort food, I decided to take a look at the Bible to see what it says about comfort. In the naming of Noah, we first read of the word “comfort.” And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. (Genesis 5:29 KJV)

I like its last use the best. Now our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work. (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 KJV)

In between those two are sixty verses. One of the best known would be: Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalms 23:4 KJV)

Just as ER stands for Emergency Room, God provided an ER for His children. Add ‘er’ on to comfort and you find God Himself, as Christ explained.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (John 14:26 KJV)

Jesus continued, explaining more about God’s Comforter, and that this Holy Spirit will testify of Christ: But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: (John 15:26 KJV)

Whether the Bible speaks of Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost, it speaks of this Comforter. I thank God that as such, He dwells in me. Do you have this comfort?

1 comment:

  1. I sure do. Don't know what I would do without it. Great post:)

    Thank you so much for stopping by earlier...you blessed me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)