Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wait A Little Longer, Please

Miss Patty was our church pianist – and a Sunday School teacher, among other ministries – when we joined our current church. Shortly after our arrival she was diagnosed with cancer. Her days with us were very precious. She lived her witness of Christ as her personal Lord and Savior and shared her faith with us through her music and her life.

One Mothers Day, after her passing, the church gave each mother a CD of her music, singing her love of our Lord. One of the songs was “Wait A Little Longer, Please, Jesus.”

Why would we not be saying with John, He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. (Revelation 22:20 KJV)?

Simply, because “Just a few more days to let our loved ones in” is very important to us. I’m certain others are as I am – some of our loved ones have not accepted God’s plan for their lives.

Oh, they’ve seen the plan of salvation laid out before them, but they’ve found so many reasons for ignoring, delaying or simply denying – which in itself is a “No” answer. Some of them even believe that there is a God, but James tells us: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. (James 2:19 KJV)

Their negativism frightens us, for we’ve read and come to understand: How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; (Hebrews 2:3 KJV)

We continue to pray for them. We want them to pay close attention to Paul’s testimony before Agrippa:

And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. (Acts 26:14-18 KJV)

They know this in their minds. They heard the words. Some, as Agrippa, have come close: Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. (Acts 26:28 KJV)

When it would be just as simple for them to answer as Paul did: I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision: (Acts 26:19b KJV)

Of course, afterward lives are changed and the opportunity to witness to others is open, just as it was to Miss Patty. I still listen to her musical testimony, still see her stepping out in faith to meet her Lord

Stepping on the clouds we’ll see Jesus
Rise to meet him in the air
Stepping on the clouds He will greet us
Oh the joy together we’ll share
I'm gonna leave this world behind me
Going where the devil cannot find me
I’m going higher, higher, higher
Stepping on the clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)