Thursday, September 24, 2009

To The Uttermost, Saved

Two songs have tossed themselves back and forth in my mind this last week.

"Saved to the uttermost and I know that I am!
Washed in the blood of the precious Lamb.
Through the Father, through the Son, through the Holy Ghost,
I'm saved to the uttermost!"

And,

"Now I grow and breathe in freedom,
with each breath of life I take.
I'm loved and forgiven,
back with the living,
I'm just a sinner,
saved by grace."

Both are powerful messages reflecting what the Bible has told us the how, why and who of salvation (p.s. – don’t neglect surrounding verses!):

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. (Acts 16:30-31 KJV)

Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:25 KJV)

But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:31 KJV)

The Bible tells me so. It also tells me we neglect:

Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. For if the word spoken by angels was stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompence of reward; How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him; (Hebrews 2:1-3 KJV)

Why do we neglect so great salvation? It is given freely from God, without effort:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

Yes, the Bible tells me so. There is more, much more. But this is the beginning.

We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19 KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)