Friday, September 25, 2009

I have it. Now what?

I read about it and was curious. Looked into it further, decided it would accomplish what was described, so I asked for it.

It didn’t come when I expected it. Wasn’t there when anticipated. It went to the back of my mind and became less important.

It arrived when I was busy packing for a trip, so I didn’t have time to open it, much less figure out what needed to be done. We returned from our trip yesterday and there it sits.

Still in the box, unopened, unassembled, unused, I was still the owner of a new end table.

How many of us treat God’s word the same way?

One Bible verse, one sermon, one comment, one witness – whatever it is that piques our curiosity about God, and we ask Him for more. We become impatient and ignore our initial curiosity, leaving His answer unopened, unviewed.

Why?

God’s will should be what directs our lives.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. (Psalms 25:4 KJV)

O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes! Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments. (Psalms 119:5-6 KJV)

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:11 KJV)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV)

We expect the last part of the following verse without working for the first:

Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. (Psalms 37:4 KJV)

Is it a delight to have the Lord in your life?

Isaiah wrote of such a time in Chapter 58:

Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth (Isaiah 58:14a KJV)

We have but to see Him, for He seeks us:

I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments. (Psalms 119:176 KJV)

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. (Luke 19:10 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)