Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Glorify God

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16 KJV)

Were we here only for that, our lives would be glorious, too, for we are but a dim reflection of His. Yet men have wished to glorify His name, and have done so beautifully:

I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell. (Psalms 86:12-13 KJV)

Christ set the example, as He has done in all things and even His death brought glory to God:

Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. (John 13:31 KJV)

This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. (John 21:19 KJV)

Why not accomplish His Follow me request? Is it fear that keeps us from following Christ? Fear not is found in 63 Bible verses, be not afraid in another 26.

Mankind has feared God since Adam's sin in the Garden:

And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself. (Genesis 3:10 KJV)

We know we've done wrong. We know we've failed in the first and most simple commandment:

Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. (Matthew 22:36-38 KJV)

We have failed even more miserably to accomplish the second:

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:39 KJV)

Work on accomplishing one and the other will come much more easily. Which will you choose this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)