Friday, June 5, 2009

Aprons

An e-mail making the rounds tells the story of aprons. I wonder if people still have them – we have two, but seldom use them.

My mother and my mother-in-law used them to protect their dresses. Yes, they wore dresses at home during the day while they cleaned their houses. They cooked breakfast, prepared lunch and fixed dinner, wearing aprons to protect the house dresses.

The aprons usually had pockets, but if you needed to carry stuff it could be held up and used as a basket of sorts. It was used as hot pads, fans, brow wipers and even nose wipers.

Today someone would call the CDC when they realized how many germs might inhabit that apron.

Think of the Bible as an apron of sorts.

It protects much more than aprons protected housedresses. For thou hast been a shelter for me, (Psalms 61:3a KJV)

It helps to cleanse and keep. The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, (Numbers 14:18a KJV)

It comforts the very soul. When I said, My foot slippeth; thy mercy, O LORD, held me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul. (Psalms 94:18-19 KJV)

It provides strength at all times. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. (Psalms 62:7 KJV)

It teaches many lessons. And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things. (Mark 6:34 KJV)

It commands, too. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:20 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)