Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The World

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him. (Acts 10:34-35 KJV)

It is in this belief that missionaries carried the message further and further from Jerusalem. It is this belief that shared the gospel message that

… God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Around this world people come together on the first day of the week to celebrate the miracle of Christ’s resurrection. They read from God’s word. They sing songs from their own and from others generations and cultures.

It touches people I may never see face-to-face, but share a moment or two each week through the internet. I read their blogs, they read mine. I see their photos, they view mine. I learn of their lives, they learn of mine. And in many instances, we share the love God has shown to us, holding it up for others to see.

We are told Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. (Matthew 5:14-15 KJV)

But sharing this information is not what the gospel is about. The word ‘share’ is not found in the King James Version. What we are told to do is ‘give’ as He has given to us. We are not to keep a portion for ourselves, but to give freely, as He has given to us.

We are promised rest: Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 KJV) I need to provide rest for those who need it, too.

We are promised accountability: But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. (Matthew 12:36 KJV) I need to be accountable for my words and my actions.

We are promised the ability to give what we have: Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. (Acts 3:6 KJV) I need to look beyond wealth and give of God’s love.

Jesus spoke of the greatest gift:

Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. (John 4:10 KJV)

Paul found it, recognized it, and gave it on to us:

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Ephesians 2:8 KJV)

That is the message our world gives. It was freely given to us and is available if thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. (John 4:10 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)