Friday, May 1, 2009

My Things About Me

“My things about me.” Just a snippet from my all-time-favorite-move “The Quiet Man,” where Maureen O’Hara said it to John Wayne. I thought about that line as I went through the last couple of weeks trying to have my things within reach so I could make attempts at not being bored.

All of those meaningful things about us – the ones we’ve moved from room to room or house to house – aren’t really ours. They, along with everything else in the world, belong to God. Doesn’t matter whether or not we acknowledge it, All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:3 KJV)

The psalmist said it a bit better: The earth is the LORD'S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein. (Psalms 24:1 KJV)

The best of life here comes, however, when we do acknowledge God’s sovereignty in our own lives. We become both stewards (As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. (1 Peter 4:10 KJV)) of His creation and joint heirs with Christ (And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. (Romans 8:17 KJV))

Talk about the best of both worlds, as children of God, that is what we’ve chosen. And, as shown above in I Peter 4:10, we are called to minister to each other. No matter what God has in mind for the whole of your life, there is always room to minister to each other.

Check out teaching in Sunday School. Move from singing in the shower to singing in the choir. Lead an AWANA class on Wednesday nights. Drive one of the vans that bring the little children to Jesus’ house. Visit shut-ins, or witness to the unsaved. Accompany a youth group to camp. Join the children at Vacation Bible School. And that’s just the top of the list – there are many more opportunities such as participating in a prayer team, assisting the church library, spending time in the nursery. Yep, the rest of this page could be filled with opportunities within His church.

Here’s your promise of reward:

He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward. And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward. (Matthew 10:40-42 KJV)

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. (Matthew 25:34-40 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)