Wednesday, May 20, 2009

E-mail is out. Snail-mail is open to me, but I’m out of that habit. Calling contacts is possible, but getting photographs in for deadlines – well, only FedEx would work, at a much higher cost.

Research from home is out. Reaching into Texas Library Databases, which hold a wealth of genealogical information, is out. It was possible to work on my genealogy database – correcting entries, rewording notes for clarity, generally cleaning up for the upcoming reunion where it will be shared with family members. It would be possible to do the research at a nearby library, but only if it has connectivity. The best research library is a hundred-mile round trip.

Without internet service for a couple of days - once again missing out on a number of habits and routines. Friday afternoon and Saturday mornings usually include a bit of time checking fotofriday’s Picture Perfect postings. With a single theme, dozens of people from almost as many countries take time to share their thoughts and the photos they’ve taken. Can’t do that without the internet.

The communication offered by the internet is cost saving, at the very least. I miss it when it is not available. I miss all of the above.

Most of all, I miss the continuity of posting a daily devotional. I appreciate so much those of you who do visit regularly. Thank you for your time.

I miss my family’s comments and PMs. I miss seeing and hearing the girls from Society, who brighten my day with their pictures and videos from their church. I miss the allotment updates in a British accent, and the family pleasures shared. I miss the southern charm of two sisters, and their daily walk with God through shadows. I miss a Bros. Bible blogging, seeing scriptures from another perspective. I miss hearing from those on my own prayer list. I miss the Mom of hungry children, the cook who shares great recipes.

These habits have been broken before, and may be again. But God’s word remains with me because I built a habit – of memorizing verses.

Should, for any reason, a Bible not be available for me, verses closest to my heart will remain. The earliest is the good news in a single verse:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 KJV)

Then there are examples of how to do it, and why:

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:11 KJV)

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. (Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV)

Keep a few of these with you, too. It’s a very good habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)