Monday, March 2, 2009

Bed

For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it. (Isaiah 28:20)

I must admit that there are some verses that strike me as funny. Most have a message that applies to daily live, spiritual growth, general education, etc. I do understand that in the context of the chapter this verse refers to judgments.

Still, in my mind I still see a man trying to fit into a too short bed, cramping his body in an attempt to cover and remain warm. This morning, that could have been me. No – my bed is a good length and I can stretch out comfortable. And I buy our blankets and spread for the next larger size so there is extra cover.

This morning, however, the house was colder than comfortable. To the extent that I was wakened by the cold, wanting to curl up and pull my knees up. Except I was on my back and my middle was quite warm – our cat was curled up purring away. Her usual bed is atop the quilt rack when the quilt is pulled back and folded each night. She, too, sought warmth. Even now, she’s curled up on my feet, sound asleep, and we’re both the warmer for it. We comfort each other.

There have been other times when another verse is more descriptive:

I am weary with my groaning; all the night make I my bed to swim; I water my couch with my tears. (Psalms 6:6)

I thank God those are few and far between. More likely is:

When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. (Psalms 63:6)

Some of my best prayer time is awakening in the morning and starting the day. The very best is of an evening, just in bed, strolling through my prayer list and asking Him to be with specific people, opening their eyes to His will in their life and provide them the comfort promised by our savior.

And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (John 14:16-18)

For that, I give Him thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)