Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wills

January 21, 1932, Martin T. Blickensderfer added a sheet of paper to his will. It was addressed to his family and the first paragraph is:

“To my dear family survivors; the greatest asset I can hand down to you is to commend you to the Lord Jesus Christ whom I have tried to serve from childhood. He is the only rock or foundation you can safely build or rely upon and you should love Him with all your Might.”

Will of Christopher Holliman, shown in the “Isle of Wight Co., VA Book of Wills” Vo. 2 p 309, written “this 24th day of April in the year of our Lord 1691”,

“In the name of God, I Christopher Holliman being very sick and weak of body but of perfect memory do make this my last Will and Testament committing my soule to Christ Jesus, my Savior and Redeemer and my body to the earth from whence it came to be buried in decent manner and as for my worldly estate as followeth …”

Both men loved their Lord and their children. They understood the words John wrote:

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4)

God does, too:

We love him, because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)