Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Time For

It has been a few days without “normal” in our lives. That trip to Houston for my brother-in-law’s memorial service, my daughter’s quick flight to welcome her first grandchild – such a juxtaposition of the seasons in our lives as written by Solomon:

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die (Ecclesiastes 3:1-2a)

It stands to reason that I might see our new Saraiah grow up, if our Lord delays His coming and my health remains as my Dad’s. But most likely I shall not see her children upon this earth.

Do not allow that to cause any sadness. It is the natural progression of God’s plan. Except for Enoch and Elijah, that has been the lot of all mankind, even Jesus Christ. As we read the scriptures, And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him. (Genesis 5:24) Perhaps it does mean Enoch simply continued a walk with God one day and did not face death. While there was a fiery chariot, look to the whirlwind for Elijah: And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven. (2 Kings 2:11)

I expect nothing along those lines. Nor is it of importance to me. It is simply a doorway.

I am grateful to have seen all of my grandchildren. My own grandmother did not have that luxury. Her youngest son was only sixteen when she died. It was her sister-in-law who spoke of her coming forward for membership in her local church. She made her public profession of faith in Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior, stating clearly and firmly that it was her decision, not pressure from any person.

So did my mother. So have I. So have my children. So have some of my grandchildren. Would that all of them come to know Christ as we do!

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. (3 John 1:4)

Tonight, as part of my ‘normal’ routine, cookies and punch will be served to about eighty children. Just as John speaks of “my children”, so do I – I pray that these, too, might know the truth even as my grandchildren.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)