Thursday, February 12, 2009

Faith

“I have lost my faith,” he said. He stated that, like Santa Claus, God does not exist. Yet, both do.

St. Nicholas was not as men now portray him. Neither is God. Rather than accept the portrait of a jolly man living at the North Pole, it is necessary to look for the truth. Same for God.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

If the mind cannot accept that single verse, it doesn’t get any easier. Especially when mankind ignores the “Why?” and seeks only “How?” The Bible doesn’t explain how God created, but why is laid before us:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

What commandments are those?

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. (Matthew 22:37-40)

Get those two right and the rest are within them.

But, what has that to do with faith? Well, it has to do with God’s word. We learn through God’s word. Psalm 119, that beautiful though lengthy acrostic, is all about God’s word. Here are some of my favorites from there:

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalms 119:11)

I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word. (Psalms 119:16)

VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word. So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word. (Psalms 119:41-42)

I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word. (Psalms 119:58)

LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. (Psalms 119:89)

What does lost faith have to do with all of the above? That explanation is also in God’s word.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)

Let me write this more boldly:

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)

Some come to His word as Thomas Jefferson did – not liking parts of it, so those parts are simply removed. That leaves His word – and us – incomplete. We forget that:

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. (Psalms 119:89)

Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. (Luke 21:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)