Saturday, January 3, 2009

Begin With Prayer

Prayer is powerful. Not because of what it is, what is said, not even because of response. Its power is in the receiver.

Jesus tells us If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. (John 14:14)

A lot of people take that verse, claim it for their own and begin a list of needs to be fulfilled. Building their doctrine on one verse – which is an extremely risky business. It is incomplete without the preceding verse:

And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (John 14:13)

Ooops – we forgot about that glorifying the Father part. Which part of our list of needs actually is designed to glorify God?

Take a few moments to go over your current prayer list. How does it compare to the prayer time Jesus spent in Gethsemane?

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. (Matthew 26:39)

And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt. (Mark 14:35-36)

Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. (Luke 22:42)

These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: (John 17:1)

Do our prayers begin with recognition of God’s holiness?

Do we ask for His kingdom to be in us?

Do we ask for His will and bend ourselves to it?

Do we ask only for the physical needs of the day?

Do we ask forgiveness of our sins as we forgive others?

Do we ask for His protection?

That was given to us as our example in Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:2-4. So, here with a new year stretching out before us, let’s take a bit of time and review our prayer lists. Add the items we know to ask for and remove those we recognize as out of place and time.

I like to begin with one of David’s requests: Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)