Monday, December 1, 2008

Cross

It’s a statement of faith, not of fashion. Fashionable is not a word I’ve heard applied to me, anyway.

I wear a simple, plain, cross on a chain. I always hope someone will ask me about it so that I might explain. I wear it in remembrance of the one on which my Savior died.

Oh, that one was so different – designed to humiliate and provide a slow death in excruciating pain. Even the Latin root of that type of pain refers to the cross.

I do not dwell on the hours He spent on the cross, but I cannot forget them. He spoke few words while on the cross. The kindest were: Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34a KJV)

Perhaps the most loving would be When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. (John 19:26-27 KJV)

But that expression of love was so minute when we consider the love that took upon the sins of the world. Those sins that separate mankind from God. That separation which brought forth the saddest words from the cross, a repeat of Psalm 22:1: My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Matthew 27:46b KJV)

So I wear a plain, unadorned cross, as a reminder that the sacrifice is complete – just as the tomb is empty. What better symbol to display the fulfillment of God’s prophecies. To remind me that the next time we see Him will be as described in Revelation:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (Revelation 19:11-16 KJV)

And, if that verse brings to mind Handel’s Messiah, you might want to look at all the lyrics, too, not just stopping at the power of the Hallelujah chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)