Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bone

I have a bone. No, not my own skeleton, though it is with me always. And not one to pick, though I do take up a cause or two.

This is a 'folding bone.' If you've never used one, it might not make sense. However, it is the most basic folding accessory available, and is used for manually creasing. They are ideal when you need to fold more than one page together, as in French-fold cards. I've had this one (a Martha Stewart from a craft shop) for several years.

This shot shows several styles.

Originally made from true bones, the one I have today is a chemical compound that I can never remember nor pronounce. I prefer it because of its evenly smooth surface, apparently molded, and the two different ends for multi-function. It creases as well as it folds.

This year I used it to smoothly crease my home-made Christmas cards.

The last few years I've found it more and more difficult to find the type of Christmas cards I want to send. My cards must:

1 - Place Christ's birth at the center of the celebration. While angels are included in the Christmas story, cutesy cherubs just won't get the job done. Neither will a woodsy scene with Disney-type wilderness nor Bambi eyes. Beautiful decorations, either drawn or photographed, won't get it done either. Jesus is the reason for the season isn't just a catchy phrase.

2 - It must state my sentiments. Oh, I will tell you 'Merry Christmas', but my card should tell you that Christmas is full of joy and glory and we should celebrate all year long. 'Have a jolly holiday' pales to nothingness in comparison.

3 - Scriptures must be included. This goes back to item 1. Throughout the Bible there are references to Christ's birth -- even to the city where He would be born. We need to read them, know them and share them.

4 - The scripture must be King James Version. I know, I know -- there's controversy. But I have read that version all of my life. I prefer it above all others for its beauty and majestic sounds, even above the accuracy of its texts. I enjoy the familiar Thee and Thou, knowing that You 'means' the same thing in modern, non-familiar wording.

This year, after starting that same pick-up-and-reject shopping, I decided to print my own Christmas cards. Including a bit on the back stating: "Made especially for my friends and family by Grammy Blick." There's no doubt that the photo conveys what I think about Christmas. No doubt which scriptures were cited and sourced. No doubt that I find in Christmas a reason for each of us to say:

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)