Sunday, November 23, 2008

Apology Accepted

A young man apologized to me today. Young is a relative term – he’s twenty-five years younger than I am, so he qualifies for the title.

Although he is developmentally challenged and incapable of functioning alone in society, he recognized an error made, a rudeness exhibited, and he apologized.

I acknowledged his apology, said I understood why he offered it. I told him I was glad that he understood that his actions were wrong, that he regretted them. I said that I accepted his apology and his desire to be kind in the future.

Why is it so difficult for us to do the same? Why can’t we easily go to our Father in prayer and say:

“Father, I apologize for my actions. I am so sorry for the things I did that detract from Your message. I very much regret my inaction that did not carry Your message to those who need it. I know I was wrong. I know I need to do better. Forgive me my errors and help me forgive those who caused me harm”

Why is it so difficult for us to do this? It is because someone has called it “repentance” and we think it has to be almost impossible to do? Hardly. If you think it is so difficult, spend some time reading the tenth chapter of Acts. The distance between Cornelius and Peter was nothing in God’s time. He had a message for both of them that brought them together to share the gospel, that good news for all:

And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. (Acts 10:42-43 KJV)

Remission of sins. Repentance. The acceptance of our apologies for our offences. The forgiveness for our sinning against the will of God.

Why is it so hard to say “Father, forgive me”? Is it really because we would have to forgive others? Take care, for there are repercussions: I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. (Luke 13:3 and 5 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)