Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Bibles

Every once in a while an e-mail making the rounds (having been forwarded multiple times!) really has a neat message. One I received recently about cell phones and Bibles did.

What if we carried it around in our purses or pockets?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we turned back to go get it if we forgot it?
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
What if we gave it to our kids as gifts?
What if we used it when we traveled?
What if we used it in case of emergency?
This is something to make you go... .hmm...where IS my Bible?

I have to admit – I cheat. My cell phone is a pocket PC, and it contains e-Sword, so I have multiple versions of the Bible with me at all times. I also have a small pocket-sized printed Bible that fits in my purse – but I don’t always have it in my purse. I also have the Bible I carry to church each Sunday. It is a Ryrie Study Bible and I enjoy using for the purpose it was written – study.

But my favorite is here on my laptop – again it’s e-Sword, with multiple versions, multiple dictionaries, multiple commentaries, along with Josephus’ writings. I’m never without reading material!!!

That is not a complete list of Bibles in our home. Doesn’t include Beloved Husband’s, nor the New Testament I received when baptized, nor my first full Bible, nor my Dad’s nor BH’s Mom’s – which I can see from where I’m sitting now. Second Daughter has my Mom’s. They move around in the family. A grandson has the one we gave his Dad – and we know it’s in the right place.

We’ve given away as many as we have in the house, and will do so again in the future.

I prefer the King James version – the Authorized, for there are several versions of that version. Several versions change the meaning of scripture that has been used for hundreds of years. It is my preference to believe God would not have left His people without His word available to them. It is also my preference not to argue about its use – God will provide His word to those who seek Him.

I will not do without a Bible to read. I learn something from it every time I open it. I find it exciting to see different messages within familiar verses, and I find comfort in familiar verses. I would give you my favorite, but as soon as I write one down, I think of another that I love just as well.

When it comes to sharing, I would share this explanation first: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:31 KJV)

And then I would share: I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (John 10:9-10 KJV)

Then, we would discuss this one: Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. (2 Corinthians 9:15 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)