Thursday, October 9, 2008

23rd Psalm

One of the most personal of verses is the 23rd Psalm. Many of the Psalms carry a taste of the personal relationship David had with God. The beauty is that it can be our relationship, too. A recent e-mail reminded me of this, and the truths it contains.

The Lord is my shepherd. That puts things in the right sequence. The Lord comes first. And, it is a continuing thing since we didn’t read “was” or “will be”. David knew there was no time limit, nor would David’s sins end the relationship.

I shall not want. How can that be? We need so many things, how can we possibly not “want”? We want world peace, don’t we? What has He supplied?

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. Yep, He does give us personal peace and rest. Peace that passes understanding!

He leadeth me beside the still waters. The refreshment of water was extended to include the flowing river containing the living waters offered the woman at the well. And that flows from the throne of God, beside the tree of live.

He restoreth my soul. The Palmist asks elsewhere Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation – that’s the type of healing that is given to us.

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness. Yes, we follow the Leader. His word provides a light to our path.

For His name’s sake. He has a purpose for us. Living that purpose brings us close to Him.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. We will not be free from tribulations. There will be times of fear, when we cannot see the steps beyond, when His presence seems far away.

I will fear no evil. He provides protection, from everything.

For Thou art with me. And that is the greatest protection of all, having God beside us on the path He laid out.

Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. As used by the shepherd, they provide the discipline and direction needed to stay on the right path. Keeping us moving in the right direction, safe from pitfalls and traps.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. Wow! Hope is our when He provide our needs before those who deny Him.

Thou anointest my head with oil. He consecrates us to His service.

My cup runneth over. No need to be concerned about the glass being half full or half empty, He runs it over so all know that He supplies every need. We have enough to share with others.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life. Truly, we’ve been blessed, and that will continue until we get home.

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord. Yes!!! That’s the home that provides security.

Forever. Eternally.

No wonder this is one of the most favored verses!! Here God promises us everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)