Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Prism

One of the most difficult parts of any discussion is to respect, if not understand, another’s point of view. While it is not necessary to agree with each other, before an exchange of information occurs there must be a respect for reaching a discussion point.

An inability to reach the point of discussion means no information is exchanged, no views are challenged, nothing is addressed. It is as though the people never met. That is a loss for both.

The ability to exchange information without defensiveness, without recrimination, does provide a benefit, no matter how far apart people are.

Of course I'm referring to an actual exchange -- one that was shut down by a post of painful accusation.

In my response, I used the example of a prism. What goes into a prism as a single white color/fact is translated, or separated, into a multitude of different colors/facts that make up that singleness. The loss of one would not be noticed, while the loss of many would be. Yet that one – one factual input – affects the whole. Those facts are what make up any individual.

These facts come to us through our lives, becoming part of us. For another to deny them diminishes us, and diminishes them for not learning more about the facts in our lives.

For me, the most important fact in my life is my acceptance of Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. That tinges everything in my life – my husband, my children, my activities, my speech – all are flavored by that single fact.

If someone asks me a question about my beliefs, I shall answer truthfully, and as verbosely as space is offered. Even then, it is necessary to question and exchange information. A question is asked, an answer given – perhaps with another question, the exchange continues. It comes to a halt, however, when a defensive wall is built and information exchange ceases.

I do not have a specific verse in mind for this blog. Surely somewhere in the Bible is an appropriate verse on learning and understanding, perhaps seeking and gaining wisdom. I shall spend some time looking for it. Perhaps it will lead to a renewing, reopening of the discussion.

The beauty of the rainbow requires a prism to separate the colors and view them individually. Our lives show beauty when the facts within it are viewed individually, too.

Right now I'm too close to this. This will be revisited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)