Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Three Lines

I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day; Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; (2 Timothy 1:3-4 KJV)

I know that I do not give as much information in any three of my written lines as Paul does here. From just these three lines we can assume that the writer:

Believes in God

Puts God first

Gives thanks to God

Served God for years

Comes from a God serving family

Prays morning and night

Prays for specific people

Misses the person to whom he is writing

Knows that person misses the writer

Expects to see that person again

Such a meeting will bring joy

It would be easy to create a separate paragraph, a separate page, perhaps even a separate book for each one of those assumptions.

Paul looked forward to seeing Timothy again here on earth, and he knew they would meet again in heaven. There are many, many people I doubt I shall see again here on earth – but many I expect to see in heaven. They have expressed their faith in Jesus Christ, are serving Him and we are told:

That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:15 KJV)

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:12-13 KJV)

Christ tells us to search the scriptures, that they speak of Him: Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. (John 5:39 KJV)

Part of that scriptural testimony He repeats: And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err. (Mark 12:26-27 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read and comment on the blog. Comments should take into consideration this verse: Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8 KJV)